Paris the City of Art, Part 2

Paris, Le Louvres, Le Louvres, Paris. They are inseparable. Especially when your area of expertise is art.

I love looking at “Les Noces de Cana” (Paul Véronèse) while everyone is walking on each other just across trying to look at/or a replica of “La Joconde” by Da Vinci.

I find it ridiculous everyone just getting mad over a tiny painting society said is brilliant. It might or might not be, however, the Louvres is full of brilliant paintings and sculptures! “Les Noces de Cana” have always been one of my favorite. The colors, composition, setting and historical reference but also the hidden messages are appealing in every way.

It is funny how proud I feel to be French when I am in this museum. Not because it is so huge and so famous, just because, french painters are amazing. And of course yes Paul Cézanne and yes Monet, Manet, Degas, Renoir, Gauguin, Courbet, Rousseau, Seurat,… But I mean

Eugène Delacroix, “La Liberté Guidant le Peuple”, or one of the most impressive piece of art I have ever seen. How to capture a major change in one image. How to represent France in one image. Freedom represented as a woman, the colors, all in the palette of the french flag, the majestic size, all attracts me to this piece.

In the Louvres, I catch myself sitting and staring endlessly at the work. From Delacroix but also from Théodore Géricault and his “Radeau de la Méduse”.

This piece is 419x716cm.  I confess I have spent many hours looking at it. It is depicting quite a frightening story of a boat that sunk and the survivors that had to survive on a piece of wood for days, hungry, dehydrated, driven to madness and cannibalism.

The composition and size works as if the people at the back are human size while the ones at the front are twice the human size. The pyramidal composition and the bodies stack intend to immerse you in the piece. And so it does. And so I hope my work does to someone one day. Different medium of transmission, but hopefully same effect.