Telling Stories

This is the last sprint for this year. A one minute movie that will not only be graded but shown and used by the Children’s Society.

When you receive a project that already has an audio, the spectrum for telling stories is quite limited. You obviously want to represent what the audio is saying, but you also need to respect what the Children’s Society says as well as the tutors as well as the audience while trying to make something that you will like as well. It is a lot of people to please in only a one minute movie. T

he length is also a factor to take into account. The animation should go to the point, and to be devoid of too many complications. In such a short, difficult piece of animation, there was, to me, no way to think of a thousand backgrounds and characters. I wanted to stick to the audio and poetically represent the struggles my character is going through.

As a character animator, the first challenge was creating a background. I only have one, and it has to be perfect. My one minute animation is quite a simple one, but it was the option I chose since I wanted it to really work. I want to be able to take my time for it be fluid and moving. The biggest problem I have is my animations are quite ragged and flat. And that is quite a problem in animation. Thus, why I want to have time to work on this one properly.

The “Telling Stories” class arrived on point. It was important to know what detail should be kept in the animation for it to work while trying to not overload it much. The class was also a good way to start thinking of our final project next year.

As the tutor talked, I started to form a few ideas in my mind, eliminating the ones without enough structure as he went on on the arguments for a good animation.