First Try at Animation

Working on my first piece of animation was  very challenging. Being very passionate about character design, I decided to try an easy head movement and insert some emotions into the animation. This meant moving different parts at the same time while creating a character.

I started making researches about bears and how their emotions can be expressed. I also researched head movements.I wanted to make sure I would correctly portray what I had in mind. I enjoy creating cute and funny characters, so next, I created a character sheet with how I though the rough key poses would be. My idea was a fat bear moving his head from left to right, going from depressed to happy.

I estimated this movement would take one second.It is then 24 frames and I will try animating on twos. I then timed it, and separated the frames. As the head goes down when it moves from side to side, I estimated my breakdown would be at frame 20. The head will move slowly at first, faster in the middle and slowing down when reaching the other side.

Ready to start, I put down the first frame and drew.

That is when it got real. You do not understand the difficulty of the task as much as when you start doing it. Stress. Stress. Mental distress. Drawing, erasing, throwing away, flipping, flicking, dying. But I want it right and fluid, so I go back and forth, I put in the hours and hopefully it works. The more I practice the more I learn. Research and practice. Keys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuhQeMM9G0U&feature=youtu.be